Clubs & Activities
Experience gained in campus clubs and activities enhances your professional development and overall college experience-- and it's fun!
ENSPire is the newest student group in ENSP and is eagerly seeking new members. ENSPire strives to unite ENSP majors and those with a genuine interest in bettering the environment through academics, professional development, community service, exploration of nature, and social activity. ENSPire plans events, represents student views to the ENSP Director, and would like to have members from all classes, freshmen through seniors. enspireatumd [at] gmail.com
The Wildlife Society, a student chapter of the national Wildlife Society organization, combines social activities with professional development. The Wildlife Society goes on field trips and invites speakers to talk about issues of concern to Wildlife Ecology students. All majors and concentrations are welcome to join both clubs! wildlifeumd [at] gmail.com
In addition, many ENSP students participate with Maryland Adventure, with the Terrapin Trail Club, on the Student Sustainability Committee; and any number of clubs related to sustainability -- but there are loads of other clubs, too. Keep doing what you enjoy, and see where it takes you!
- Engineers Without Borders - a student chapter of a national organization (EWB-USA) that partners with developing communities to improve quality of life through the implementation of environmentally sustainable, equitable, and economical engineering projects. All majors are welcome to participate!
- Maryland Adventure - meet friends, have fun, learn outdoor skills! Qualified students are encouraged to take leadership roles.
- Maryland Food Co-op Collective - work for food :+)
- Maryland Mock Trial Team - learn how to argue with the best of them; Maryland's Mock Trial Team has won 5 National Championships!
- Soil Judging Team - UM consistently places among the best in the nation - take ENST 200 and join us!
- Student Sustainability Committee - advises the SGA and University decision makers to ensure that the environmental sustainability priorities of the undergraduate student body are met.
- Terrapin Trail Club - does LOTS more than hiking! For more info, contact: officers [at] ttc.umd.edu
- Wildlife Society at Maryland - Be part of something Wilder! Email: wildlifeumd [at] gmail.com
- Lake Artemesia, walkable from campus
- Rock Creek Park, Washington, DC - 30 min from campus
- US National Arboretum, Washington, DC - 30 min
- C&O National Historical Park, Great Falls, MD - 45 min
- Sugarloaf Mountain, Dickerson, MD - 50 min
- Catoctin Mountain NP, Thurmont, MD - 1.25 hrs
- Maryland Heights, Harpers Ferry NHP, WV - 1.25 hrs
- Shenandoah NP, VA - 1.75 hrs
- Old Rag Mountain, VA - 1.75 hrs
- Assateague Island, VA - 3.5 hrs
- Hiking Upward - A great resource for hiking in MD, VA & WV
- Maryland - State Parks
- Virginia - State Parks