The University Career Center & the President's Promise has embedded career advisors in each academic College that can assist you with your career development!
- College of Agriculture and Natural Resources: Mrs. Casey Miller
- College of Computer, Mathematical and Natural Sciences: Ms. Becca Ryan
- College of Behavioral and Social Sciences: Feller Center for Academic Advising & Career Planning: Ms. Crystal Sehlke.
- The Feller Center in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences is a co-located hub for academic advising and career planning services. The Center offers customized career planning resources for BSOS students.
Did you know the Career Center hosts free DROP-IN APPOINTMENTS?
You can drop in Monday-Friday anytime between 1:00 - 3:30pm. in the University Career Center (3rd floor - Hornbake) to meet with a Peer Career Educator. No appointment necessary!
Drop-ins are for quick questions and tips on the following topics:
- Resumes & Cover Letters
- Basic job/internship search strategies
- Basic networking strategies (LinkedIn, Terrapins Connect)
- Interview preparation
** Peer Career Educators support undergraduate students of all majors. Drop-ins will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis and it is not guaranteed you can be seen if drop-ins are especially busy that day. To maximize your drop-in experience for resume and cover letter reviews, please bring a printed hard-copy with you.**
CAREER ASSISTANCE APPOINTMENTS (30 minute scheduled appointments)
For more in-depth assistance, schedule an appointment. The Career Center is here to help you find the correct resources, programs and services for your needs. Topics may include:
- Choosing a Major, Career Exploring, Career Fields and Industries
- Preparing for Interviews (personal statements, mock interviews, etc)
- Searching for Internships or Jobs
- Networking, Informational Interviews and Applying to Graduate School
Career advising appointments are available in Handshake for current UMD students (undergrad, master’s and doctoral) and alumni less than one year post-graduation. You can choose in-person or virtual appointments.
To schedule an appointment:
- Log into Handshake with your UMD CAS log-in. Handshake has replaced Careers4Terps.
- Once logged in, click on "Career Center" in the left navigation bar and then click "Appointments."
- Click "Schedule A New Appointment" and then select the appointment type that is the best fit for your questions or concerns.
- Once you schedule an appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with the details of your appointment. You will also receive a reminder email of your appointment and you can revisit your appointment details in Handshake.
Other Career Advising Resources
- Career Exploration Guide: ENSP: Includes sample work titles/areas of our recent graduates, career planning information, research, internship, and graduate school resources tailored for environmental science majors!
- Explore internship sites: Review previous internship sites, tips for locating openings in the environmental science field, plus much more.
- Gain experience: Add to your marketable skill by landing an internship, research position, leadership position on campus, part-time job, etc.
- Research: Learn about research options at UMD and in the greater DMV area. Review tips and events for getting involved in research and learn how to get funding for your research!
Prepare to Apply