Finding an internship near home (or far away!) is do-able when you begin preparing over Winter and Spring Breaks, e.g.,
- Prepare a resume
- Think about what kind of experience you want: inside/office work? outside/field work? science or library research? environmental education?
- Talk to family and friends who may have suggestions, connections, or ideas
Explore search engines:
- BackdoorJobs.com - seasonal, environmental & outdoor education jobs here and overseas
- Coolworks.com - anything you can think of, anywhere!
- EcoJobs.com - national listings, all kinds of internships
- Idealist.org - especially good for non-profit organizations; you can search by state and ZIP code.
- Student Conservation Association (SCA) - over 400 national parks internships each summer.
Generate your own list of possible sites:
- Explore the websites of nearby colleges and universities -- especially career center pages or departmental websites (Biology; Government and Politics; Geography; Environmental Science, etc.)
- Visit the websites of local environmental organizations and/or government offices.
- Don't be afraid to approach organizations directly. Be able to explain why their organization is of interest to you, e.g., you are an Environmental Science and Policy major interested in learning more about _______________ (fill in the blank) or developing your knowledge and skills in ______________ (fill in the blank). Ask if they have projects that you could work on and/or whether they would be open to having an intern.
Or try these possibilities (organized: north --> south --> Chicago --> west):
- Vermont Youth Conservation Corps
- Maine & New England - Bates College
- Boston area - Brandeis University
- Connecticut - Dept of Environmental Protection
- City of New York - Parks and Recreation
- NYC.gov - New York City
- New York - Dept of Environmental Conservation
- NJ Division of Parks & Forestry
- NJEL - lists NJ environmental organizations
- NJ Environmental Library - lists NJ environmental organizations
- Delaware State Parks
- Philadelphia Zoo - Philadelphia, PA
- Pittsburgh area internship links - University of Pittsburgh
- Chicagoland Environmental Network
- Oregon and Northwestern US - University of Oregon
- Internships.com - best for internships in metro areas
- Google: "environmental internships" + (Your state) or "environmental organizations" + (Your state).
Finally: Angela can help you identify internships and give guidance regarding cover letters, resumes, and proposals. Learn how to earn credit for your internship here.